Monday 24 September 2012

Sunday Stroll

Yesterday I went for a walk in the Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve just to the south of Joburg.  My guidebook promised that animals (like wildebeest, hartebeest, and even zebras) definitely lived in the park and I just hoped I would be lucky enough to see one of them.  As I entered the park I saw a little fox-like creature run across the path in front of me.  If you remember from my visit to another nature reserve, the only animal I saw that day was the one that ran across the path in front of me as I entered the park.  So naturally I felt a little disappointing deja vu.  However, as I continued my walk, I saw what I suspected were wildebeest across a small river from me.  I took about ten pictures, getting as close as I could without entering the high grass in front of me (for fear of snakes, whether a legitimate fear or not, I wasn't prepared to find out).  As I continued along though, eventually there was a bridge so I could cross over to their side.  They were all still in that field although they slowly moved a little farther away as they saw me coming, but I got some even better pictures from that side.  I also discovered an antelope looking creature.  With help from my guidebook and google images, I think I can semi-confidently say it was a bontebok. 

After seeing these animals, I felt pretty happy about the day.  However, my guidebook had also promised beautiful views of the city to the north if I climbed up the mountains.  So when I saw a sign for "look-out point", I followed it.  Unfortunately, I climbed the wrong mountain and my view of the city was blocked by other mountains, but I did still get a nice view of the park.  I guess I will just have to go back and try again for my city view.

Spring is here!  Grass starting to grow where fires had burned
Black wildebeest; just try looking at this picture without thinking: Stampede, in the gorge, Simba's down there!!!
There were a few ruined buildings in the park, not sure what they were but here's part of one
Bontebok with wildebeest in the background
Possibly a dassie, there were tons of these little guys running around the rocks

1 comment:

  1. Wow Wendy these photos are gorgeous! Animals are so amazing (sounds so silly to say, but its true!)

    ReplyDelete