Tuesday 4 December 2012

Afrikaans Lesson

Well having been here for almost 6 months, I've picked up on a bit of Afrikaans.  Also, one of our students is taught completely in Afrikaans so I need to know a bit of Afrikaans to interact with him.  Let's start with the basics:

Hello - Hallo (pretty much the same)

Goodbye - Tot siens (or sometimes just bye)

Yes - Ja

No - Nee (pronounced knee-a)

Nice - Lekker (a common word used in both Afrikaans and English here)

Please - Asseblief

Thank you - Dankie

Since most of the language I've learned revolves around the circle time we do in the morning (since that is when I have to speak to our Afrikaans student most), I'll include that as well. 

How are you? - Hoe gaan dit?

Well - Goed

Who's at school today? - Wie is by die skool vandag?

What number? - Wat is die nommer?  (For the next few questions, I can sometimes guess if he's saying the right answer or not, sometimes the therapist behind will confirm whether it was correct or not)

What month? - Wat is die maand?

What year? - Wat is die jaar?

What day is it today? - Wat is die dag vandag?

What sound? - Wat is die klink?

What is the colour of the week? - Wat is die kleur van die week?

What is the shape of the week? - Wat is die vorm van die week?

How many? - Hoeveel?

We're all done - Ons is klaar

Have a nice day - Lekker dag

I also know most of my colours, some months of the year, most days of the week, some shapes, and can probably count up to 8 without mistakes.  Now on to the ABA speak that I've learned because of this little man.  

Very good! -Baie mooi!

That's it! - Daars hy!

What is it? - Wat is dit?

What are you doing? - Wat doen jy?

Play - Speel

Jump - Spring

What do you want?  - Wat wil jy he? (the e should have a hat on it, too lazy right now to look for the symbol) OR Wat soek jy?

I also have been taught a few choice words for certain upsetting situations.  I would like to keep this PG, but for those who really really need to know this information (and specifically from me instead of the rest of the internet), message me.

Also, thank you to Google Translate for helping with spelling.  I only used Google Translate because I know what the end product should sound like.  For the few times that Google couldn't help me (meaning gave me incorrect translations), I went straight to the source (my colleagues).

Finally, I apologize for the delay again!  Just a lot going on wrapping up the end of the year here.  Also, I'm sorry I couldn't write pronunciations for all the translations.  Most important points: j in Afrikaans = y sound in English, and g in Afrikaans = that gutteral sound you make at the back of your mouth with a raised tongue.  That's probably a bad description as well.  Next time you see me, ask me to speak a bit for you, but I'm warning you, my accent sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment