Thursday 20 December 2012

Back in Canada

Last Saturday I arrived back home in Ottawa, Canada after a 33 hour journey home from Joburg.  There was some snow on the ground (which I was expecting) and it was freaking cold (which I was also expecting).  I did forget just how dark it is here though.  I'm used to full sunlight at about 5:30 am right now, so dark until 7:30 am is very very weird.  I keep thinking I'm getting up super early, but I'm actually not.  It also gets dark crazy early as well so I think I'm staying up super late... or at least eating dinner super late, but I'm actually not. 

My house, the day after I arrived back in Canada
Driving on the right side of the road hasn't been too much of an adjustment, at least not as a passenger; I haven't actually driven here since I got back.  The driving does seem a lot easier here though, because even though it's winter, there are no crazy taxi drivers to worry about (see my driving in South Africa post). 

I also seem to have no concept of money.  I've been converting things from South African rands back to Canadian dollars (roughly) for so long, but I'm not sure what a Canadian dollar is worth anymore.  After a day of Christmas shopping, I think I'm doing better with how much money is worth... unfortunately I don't have as much of it anymore.

It was awesome however coming home to all my old clothes (that are basically new since I haven't worn them in so long!), the jewelry I left behind, and pretty much everything I missed from back home.  Since coming home I've had Kraft dinner twice, St. Hubert's once, and poutine once.  I have a feeling a diet is not happening over these holidays.

So I'm not sure how many of you knew my original plans for Christmas break, but my family and boyfriend were supposed to be coming down to South Africa for a true South African holiday (Joburg, safari, wine country, and Cape Town).  However, plans were cancelled when I found out my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Since then, my sister Rachel has organized an amazing benefit concert happening on December 30th from 3pm-8pm at Greenfield's Pub in Barrhaven.  We're going to have live music, a silent auction, and 50/50 tickets.  For anyone interested in attending please message me or email me for tickets (they are $15 and can also be bought at the door).  For those who cannot attend but would still like to donate, please visit this website: http://pcc.convio.net/site/TR/Events/General?pxfid=1530&fr_id=1060&pg=fund


TL;DR: Visit this website: http://pcc.convio.net/site/TR/Events/General?pxfid=1530&fr_id=1060&pg=fund

No comments:

Post a Comment