Sunday 10 February 2013

Kgaswane Mountain Reserve

Yesterday I went for a hike in the Kgaswane Mountain Reserve near Rustenburg in the North West Province.  It was about an hour and a half drive there, past some of the mining area that has been in the news for quite a while (especially during the strike last year). 

I arrived at the reserve gate, paid my entrance fee, and then drove up most of the mountain to the "information centre" at the top.  I was quite confused since there was no one at the information centre, but they did have bathrooms and a "nature exhibit".  I didn't check out the nature exhibit though because the deserted information centre was creeping me out.

Since there was no information at the information centre, it took me a few minutes to find the start of the path I wanted to go on.  I did find it eventually though and started on my uphill climb.  The trail was quite steep and rocky (as my guide had warned) for the first 45 minutes to an hour, but after that, it thankfully got a lot easier and more flat.  There were tons of huge brown rocks on the mountain different from anything I've seen while on hikes closer to Joburg.  I finished the hike in about two hours and then headed back down the mountain in my car, stopping at a couple of the viewpoints along the way.  As I left the gate, the lady said "you made it!", I just smiled and said "yep I made it".  She said "I was worried about you".  I thanked her very much.  It felt good knowing that someone was looking out for me since occasionally during hikes alone my mind wanders to Aron Ralston and cutting off arms. 

Anyway, enough about cutting off arms, it was a great hike and great to get a bit farther out of Joburg to see more of this country!

Jean LeCastor on top of the mountain

Rock that looks like a cat


View on the drive down the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment