Sunday 24 February 2013

Safety and Security in South Africa

A question that I've heard time and time again from friends and family back home is "is it safe?", both before I came and now that I've been here for 8 months.  I never really worried about security in Canada or the US but I was never stupid.  I didn't particularly worry about security in South Africa either.  I knew that I would be safe staying with the family I'm working for and that I would find somewhere safe to live.  I was worried though that I would never be able to leave the house after dark and if there were other things I wouldn't be able to do.

Before coming I was warned about the high walls, fences, and gates surrounding the houses so I was not surprised to see them around the house of my employers.  My employer assured me that the electric fence on top of the wall would not kill anyone (phew) although I'm not sure exactly just how much it would hurt.  In addition to the security around the house, there is also an alarm that is set every night in case there is a break in, a security door at the top of the stairs that is closed and locked every night (though I'm not positive if this is for security or to keep children from going downstairs), and video cameras around the premises.  All these measures are not uncommon, but the walls and fences especially are a common sight.

The layout of the complex where I live seems to be a popular layout for apartments in this area.  There are multiple buildings around the complex, all three stories high.  Walls surround the complex and there are gates to enter and exit the complex.  Residents enter through one gate and visitors through another.  The visitors have to speak to guards who then phone the resident they are looking to visit.  The resident must confirm that they would like the visitor to enter.  When leaving, visitors either need a code or they need to wait for the guards to let them out.  The guards have a right to search your vehicle if they are suspicious (I've never been searched).  You need to let the guards know when you are moving in or out, or even just moving any large items.  Additionally, any helpers (maids, au pairs, etc) of any residents who will be visiting on a regular basis need to fill out certain forms and provide ID photos. 

As for regular day to day security, I haven't changed much about what I normally do.  I was always cautious of my purse in public and that has continued here.  I certainly don't wear a money belt.  When driving alone, I keep my purse strap wrapped around my gear shift and in more dangerous spots under my legs (not very often).  I have seen the "hijacking hot spot" signs but I haven't seen anything particularly suspicious in those areas.  I've never been in those areas at night so I'm not positive if people would run red lights there or not.  I do go out at night and occasionally alone but usually only to visit friends and definitely only to places I've been to before.  I would always drive, never walk, at night.  I have walked around alone during the day, both in my neighbourhood and obviously in nature reserves.  I've never really felt unsafe, although a creepy old man once spoke to me when I was walking around my neighbourhood.  I just ignored him and he went away. 

So I've never felt particularly unsafe here but I am cautious and I have limited myself occasionally because of potential safety issues (like traveling alone for a weekend).
My apartment complex's gate

Gate at work


No comments:

Post a Comment