Sunday 17 February 2013

Pretoria Zoo

This weekend, a couple of friends and I went to the Pretoria Zoo.  I'm especially glad I had company for this because the drive in was a little sketchy.  The zoo, however, was awesome.  Much better than the Joburg Zoo.  It was better maintained, had bigger enclosures, and had nicer paths.  It also had a lot of areas for picnics.  It looked like a lot of people came not just for the zoo, but also to have a nice day in the park and a little braai. 

We started off at the reptile zoo and aquarium.  They had tons of snakes (I would guess literally) and lizards.  They also had a few crocodiles, alligators, and two komodo dragons.  The aquarium was nice. It clearly wasn't the main attraction but had a few interesting things like upside down jelly fish, sharks, sea horses, piranha, and eels. We also got to see one of the zoo employees feeding some penguins.  It looked like the fish she was feeding them though were much too big for their little mouths and bodies! 

We then headed off to see the rhinoceros and hippos on the way to "Australia" where they had a couple of really cute koalas and maybe a half dozen kangaroos.  Most of the rest of the animals were African (elephant, leopard, gorilla, baboons, zebra, lion, wild dog, antelope) with a few exceptions (tiger, Kodiak bear, and seal are the only ones I can remember right now).

My friends asked me what animals we see at zoos in North America.  I told them mostly the same, giraffe, elephants, etc.  They thought that was interesting.  Africa just has all the best animals I guess.

Rhino

Cute Koala
King Julian
Cath and Liza with the gorilla display
Me on the South Africa bench (springbok and flag)

Cool sundial in the zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment