Sunday 3 March 2013

Randfontein Show and Fish Braai

Yesterday I went to the Randfontein show, a food and music festival in Randfontein (a western suburb of Joburg).  It is one of the few places I've been while here that most people expected me to speak Afrikaans and always started off with Afrikaans instead of English.  The show was basically a fair including rides, shopping, music, and food.  The rides were similar to what you would find in Canada or the States: a tilt-a-whirl, a little roller coaster, a ferris wheel, bumper cars, etc.  They also had a mechanical bull with little American flags around the perimeter.  It was for the kids though so not quite as violent as the ones I've seen before.  The shopping was a lot more diverse than what I've seen at other fairs.  There were clothes, jewelry, antiques, art, toys, pets, and probably even more things I'm forgetting.  I didn't hear a lot of music there and the music I did hear was either in Afrikaans or cover versions of English songs.  So that wasn't super exciting.  Although I think the more exciting musical acts were coming later in the day (but they probably would have been in Afrikaans as well).  Finally, the food.  There were a lot of different kinds of food, some traditional fair food like cotton candy and some traditional South African food.  I had some vetkoek (fried bun basically) with curry mince (beef with veggies and curry spice) for lunch and a frozen grenadilla for a snack.  Both were delicious.

After the fair I went over to Roz's house for a fish braai with her family and friends.  For those still not up on the SA lingo, a braai is a BBQ.  We had calamari, prawns, sole, and yellowtail.  We also had some delicious potbrood which is bread made in a cast iron pot.  Everything tasted wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment